Friday, April 06, 2007

Arming the tribes of al-Anbar (again)

So I see part of the "surge" is to arm the tribes of al Anbar and encourage them to go after the bad guys once again (this is our third attempt for this plan).

Anbar province, with a population of a little over a million, has been the most deadly province for U.S. soldiers since the start of the war. 1198 U.S. military personnel have been killed there. Second deadliest, of course, is Baghdad with 904 killed.

Arming and training the tribes may seem like a good idea in the short term, but I can't help but think that, in the long run, this decision will come back and bite us as similar tactics have in the past.

Iraq doesn't need any more armed militias.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Alphie,

I've seen many of your postings over at Protein Wisdom (http://www.proteinwisdom.com), Jeff Goldstein's popular and thought-provoking blog.

Although you're universally regarded as a troll over there (because, well, you are), I figured I'd give your blog a shot and see what you were able to accomplish on your own.

Now I know.

I'm leaving you a comment because you don't seem to get many. Any, really.

Cheers, and don't let anybody tell you you're not super-special. You are and I bet your Mom agrees.

1:27 AM  
Blogger alphie said...

I run this blog so the places I comment at have a chance to return the favor, anon.

A two way street.

Thanks for stopping by.

3:02 PM  
Blogger happyfeet said...

Just remember to look both ways, alphie.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home